Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oz Academy 6/13/10

Hiren vs. Tomoka Nogawa - 4

I really dug Nogawa. She was taking chair shots to the head and selling them great by clutching her head and kicking her feet on the mat. Hiren showed some really great aggressive behaviors in the ring, like her stomps in the corner. All the while during said stomps she was screaming. Nice. I really feel like Nogawa was the better of the two, though. She threw some great kicks and had a unique personality in the the ring.

Chikayo Nagashima & Nao Kumatsu vs. Mayumi Ozaki & Yumi Ohka - 5

Ok, first off, Ozaki looks like a total badass terminatrix. She seems like she can stare a hole right through you. I'd hate to see that facing me on the other side of the ring. Ozaki's selling, however, leaves something to be desired. I like Kumatsu's vocally selling. I feel that by selling vocally, you can really paint the canvas with your aggression. I know that actions are more important, but the grunting and yelling and screaming add a nice touch. Her vocals were especially impressive when she delivered forearm shots. Back to Ozaki, she looked like she got a sick high off of dismembering the face of Kumatsu - in a weird masochistic way, I can dig it. I feel that Nagishima's transitions are stellar. Her transitions between power maneuvers and kicks were awesome, just really fluid. Fun back and forth match.

Ayumi Kurihara, Dynamite Kansai & Sonoko Kato vs. AKINO, Hiroyo Matsumoto & Ran YuYu - 2

To say this match was structured is like calling Triple H and honest businessman. Sweet God I seriously got a headache after this match. As far as the in ring, it was stiff like usual, but the girls all kept getting in the ring at the same time, there was no control, I had no idea who the legal woman was, and my eyes starting crossing. There's fun sprints where the rules temporarily fly out the window, then there's clusterfucks. This, sadly, is the latter.

Kaoru vs. Takako Inoue - 3

I'm really noticing a trend here: It's totally okay if you want to come into the ring and help someone out. There seems to be no disqualifications in this company. We had multiple run-ins, boards being used, etc. I'll just look the other way. Both of these girls brought the hate, yet again. That's my favorite thing about Joshi: The hate etched upon the girls' faces and illuminated through their vocal and facial selling. In this match, both of the girls appeared to literally want to remove the other girl's head by force. The blatant run-ins right in front of the referee are what held this match back for me.

Aja Kong & Kaoru Ito vs. Manami Toyota & Carlos Amano - 5

Aja Kong is the female Vader. She will fuck up your face and not feel any remorse for doing so. The real story here is Manami. She's not missed a beat after all these years. Her offense still looks crisp and fluid, and her selling is right up there with the rest of the girls. I enjoyed the whole "Joshi legends and modern workers" feel to the match, too. Ito looked damn good, really stiff and not willing to take shit. I enjoyed her desperation selling and exhaustiveness after being hit with a move. Amano looked decent -- she was the real punching bag of the match. Fun bout.

No comments: