Monday, June 14, 2010

DVDVR New Japan 80s Disc 12 - part one of three

Hiroshi Hase vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (12/27/87) - 5

I love both of these guys. Hase has this frenetic energy about him that puts all eyes on him throughout the match. Kobayashi's facials when he's selling are particularly awesome. The entire match was paced well and there were great ups and downs throughout the match. Both of these guys make my top 10 list of workers on this set.

Keiichi Yamada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (1/25/88) - 6

Another great pre-Liger match from Yamada. I've noticed now more than ever in watching this set how Yamada is methodical in picking apart his opponents body through submissions, especially ones that focus on the midsection of his opponent. One point in the match, Yamada removes Kosh's boot and begins pummeling his ankle with the ring bell, which feeds into some great selling by Kosh as Yamada puts him in an ankle lock. Please do yourself a favor and watch this match. It was a unique match that I don't think should be overlooked.

Keiichi Yamada vs. Hiroshi Hase (2/4/88) - 6

These two facing off?! Sounds fucking amazing to me. Pre-bell, Hase is hopping around like he can't wait to dig into Yamada. Again, all eyes on him. Yamada continues his typical picking apart of a body part by stomping in Hase's shoulder with something I love to see -- intensity~! This match also featured some great matwork that really highlights both of these workers' ability. Yamada's selling was really good in this bout as well. There's a point in the match when Hase hits a double stomp on Yamada, who sells it awesomely by gasping for air. Really good match.

Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Chosu (2/4/88) - 5

This match came about at a perfect time... I needed my Chosu fix. In typical Chosu fashion, he exploded on Inoki at the bell with lariats. You can never have too much intensity. Chosu plays well to the crowd. It seems like he's an easy guy to get behind... even when he's facing the owner of the company. After putting up with these UWF invaders for the past years, he seems like a pretty pissed off dude -- and I love it! Inoki went over, the fans cheered, but I really think that they wanted to see Chosu give the boss the old what-for. Ending was weird -- Chosu was in an abdominal stretch, but had his fingers on the ropes, yet he lost the match. No comprendo.

Nobuhiko Takada vs. Hiroshi Hase (3/11/88) - 8

Out of all the UFW guys, Takada is my favorite. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I just think he stands out. There was an awesome point when Takada slaps Hase so hard he hurts his own hand! I think Takada's selling and facials whilst selling really define why I like him so much. Hase stuck in there with Takada, too, which was really cool and really put him over as guy not to be fucked with. Super hot crowd, great near-falls, great match.

No comments: