Tuesday, November 14, 2006

WCW SuperBrawl II

1. Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger – 6
2. Larry Zbyszko and “Stunning” Steve Austin vs. Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham – 5
3. Bobby Eaton and Arn Anderson vs. Steiner Bros. – 5
4. “Ravishing” Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat – 6
5. Sting vs. Lex Luger – 6

The show started off with a fast-paced athletic encounter between two of the early-90’s lightweight luminaries. Liger did an incredible somersault off of the top turnbuckle out onto Pillman on the floor which Jim Ross called a “moonsault.” The utter idiocy continued shortly after, when Jesse Ventura said, “this is the greatest aerial match I’ve seen in my career”, after it had only been in-progress for less than 3 minutes. I have to note, Pillman had one of the best dropkicks in the history of the business. Afterwards, I can see them both flying back home to recoup – Pillman drinking Canadian beer and eating moose meat, and Liger drinking sake and eating geisha.

The following tag match started off wild, with action everywhere, and some particularly good punches thrown by Windham. Now I know where Chris Sabin stole that spinning back-kick to the stomach – Larry Zybyszko was doing it a decade ago! Austin’s trunks looked like a ’91 JC Penny store’s bathroom wallpaper. Windham did a DDT on Zybyszko that made the move look cool again – take notes rookies. Larry later dropped Windham nuts-first on a steel guardrail. And finally, Windham’s top-rope clothesline was titties; and by that, I mean it was great, and Kane should try to emulate it because his version sucks dong.

Eaton, Anderson, and both Steiner brothers were all considered superstars at this point, and often put forth great performances; sadly, this match wouldn’t make it on any of their highlight reels. Also, during the course of this match, I realized how utterly obnoxious Jesse Ventura was on commentary. I chalk some of it up to him playing the heel persona, but still, I found much of what he said highly irritable. I was somewhat distracted while watching this bout, as I was devouring some of my mom’s chili, but I do recall Eaton doing a pretty damn terrific flying kneedrop from the top buckle at one point.

I absolutely love both Rude and Steamboat, and would honestly watch these two wrestle each other for hours at a time – if that were somehow possible and legal. I’ve seen them work together before, and the end result was better, still, this match was pretty good minus the weak finish. What weak finish, you may be asking yourself? The one where a chubby man in a ninja costume, that for some reason was standing at ringside, I suppose as moral support for Steamboat, turned out to be the weasel Paul E. Dangerously who busted a humongous cellular phone on Ricky’s cranium. I definitely dig these guys’ work, though; their timing, athleticism, and psychology are topnotch.

The main event featured Luger and Sting, and earns some bonus credit for being a major title change, as perennial fan favorite Sting got the strap after a decent bout. It started out with both men talking to each other for what felt like a few minutes, I couldn’t make out entirely what either was saying, but I imagine it went something like, “I paid for the booze and prostitutes last weekend, it’s your turn Steve.” There are honestly not a whole lot of guys that I’d be particularly interested in watching Luger work with, but Sting’s on that short list of talent, as his energy brings out Luger’s better qualities. Get this match if you’re a big fan of either guy, or for the sheer historical significance alone, otherwise it’s about as important to me as a random Godfather match from Sunday Night Heat.

No comments: