Wednesday, September 1, 2010

NHO Hall of Fame Class '10: Inductee #9

Rey Bucanero and Último Guerrero



Back in the 2000's it was a dark time for my lucha love affair, we'd rarely get to see stuff, no satellite or Internet downloads to speak of, but still, from time to time, I'd find a way to see some of my beloved lucha libre and Bucanero and Guerrero were always the first guys I was looking for on any tapes I might get my hands on. In the Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards they won Best Tag Team of the Decade (2000-2009), truly their highest honor amongst hardcore fans, and as a team they won the CMLL World Tag Team Championship a total of three times. In an era when many pundits claimed tag teams were all but dead, south of the border, these two were cementing their legacy as one of the best teams of any era. Guerrero is sometimes referred to as "El Luchador de Otro Nivel", that is, "The wrestler of another level", but I prefer his other nickname better, "El Ultimo de su Especie", or, "The last of his kind." Congratulations guys, you deserve the honor, you're joining your Los Guerreros del Infierno stablemate Atlantis in our prestigious Hall of Fame, and if people aren't familiar with your work already, I hope this will turn some people onto the plethora of performances you bestowed upon us over the last decade.

No comments: